Categories
Uncategorized

Clontarf Castle, County Dublin

Now turned into a hotel with the most modern amenities, Clontarf Castle has always been a much-admired place in Ireland. Its current location was the site where most of the action of the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 happened. It is believed that the castle was built by either Hugh de Lacy or his tenant Adam de Phepoe. The first castle came to existence on the site in 1172.

Although there is no visible trace left of the 1172 castle, the ground has always had a castle ever since then. The possession of the castle changed several hands in its long history till 1957. It was temporarily possessed by Knights Templar before their suppression in 1308. At one point of time in the 16th century, it was under the control of the British crown as well. From there on it became the property of Vernon family and also had other owners subsequently. Finally, the castle re-opened to general public in June 1997 as a four star hotel with 111 rooms for guests.

The present structure of Clontarf Castle traces its genesis to 1837 when it was still part of the Vernon Estate. The brain behind the design of this splendid castle is of an Irish architect named William Vitruvius Morrison. He was commissioned for the work when the old building was deemed to be unsafe to live in. The structure underwent further renovations when it was converted into a hotel that has all the modern facilities and amenities. As a result, most visitors always find their stay at this magnificent castle turned hotel pleasurable and memorable.

Show / Hide More expand-7644562

collapse-large-7633431

Related Content link-8173435

Towns

Swords
Swords formed in 560AD, the county town of Fingal, County Dublin as of 1994 after Dublin County Councils breakup is loca…read on
Skerries
Skerries, located on the eastern coast of Ireland, derives its name from Norse word Skere which means small coastal is…read on
Rush
Rush is a diminutive town, situated on the east coast of Ireland. Located just 27 km away from County Dublin, Rush can b…read on
Portmarnock
Portmarnock, a beautiful town in the outskirts of County Dublin is located between Malahide and Baldoyle. The name of…read on
Malahide
Located in County Dublin, Malahide is a coastal suburban town that derives its modern name from “Mullach Íde”, meanin…read on
Lusk
Lusk is small village in County Dublin, which is located on the east coast of Ireland in the province of Leinster. The v…read on
Dublin City
Dublin City is the most important city of Ireland and also the capital city. In Irish it is officially known as Baile Á…read on
Donabate
Located 20 km north-east of County Dublin, Donabate is a suburban coastal town. The town is situated on a peninsula that…read on
Balbriggan
Balbriggan is a beautiful sea-side town situated 32km away to the north of Dublin City Centre which is in North County…read on

MuseumsGolf

Howth Golf Club
Established in 1916 and designed by well-known golf architect James Braid, the 18 hole Howth Golf Club is situated at …read on

Gardens

Rathmichael Lodge
The old world charm of Rathmichael Lodge is so deeply impressive that it will transport one to a different time period. …read on
Dillon Garden
The Dillon Garden is located outside a private house in Ranelagh which is on the outskirts of Dublin. The garden attract…read on

Castles

Clontarf Castle
Now turned into a hotel with the most modern amenities, Clontarf Castle has always been a much-admired place in Irelan…read on
Bremore Castle
Bremore Castle is a large tower house located north of Balbriggan, County Dublin. Estimated to have been built in the 14…read on

Art-galleries

Neptune Gallery
One of the smallest galleries of Dublin, Neptune Gallery is located in the South William Street in the Dublin City of Co…read on
Framework Gallery
Framework Gallery is one of the popular tourist destinations in the County Dublin. There are two workshops located on si…read on
Eblana Gallery
Eblana Gallery is a contemporary art gallery situated in Dublin City Centre. The gallery has a magnanimous collection of…read on
Douglas Hyde Gallery
Douglas Hyde Gallery, named after the first President of Ireland, is a contemporary art gallery funded by public money. …read on

Show/Hide Related Content expand-7644562 collapse-large-7633431

Photos Nearby camera-1820226

All Imagery Courtesy of Panoramio collapse-large-7633431

Location Map arrows-3191621