Categories
Uncategorized

Bremore Castle, County Dublin

bremore-castle-0-3537991bremore-castle-0-3537991 Bremore Castle is a large tower house located north of Balbriggan, County Dublin. Estimated to have been built in the 14th century, the Norman Barnewalls family held it from the time of construction till 1727, the year in which it was sold. However, the first mention of this castle or its location was in reference to William Rosel De Brimor, who held land in England and Ireland in the end of 13th century. Its deterioration began much before the sale, and by 1783, it was termed as “not many years ago inhabited” by Austin Cooper, a prominent antiquarian of that time. Presently, this grand structure has been reduced to ruins, with the remains standing in place since the mid and late 16th century.

Though repairs are being carried out by the Parks Department of Fingal County Council and the Balbriggan and District Historical Society, the work has not been finished in more than a decade. The upper storeys of the castle had collapsed long ago and the castle has, now, been reduced to an expansive single floor structure. Therefore, the two organisations have put up scaffoldings all around the castle to support it in the best possible manner. However, the delays are making it difficult for the two to keep it up in its existing shape, let alone repair it. The locals of the city are angry that very little funds are earmarked for its reconstruction, even though millions were readily available for Malahide Castle located nearby. The neglected site is termed an “eyesore” by them, and hazardous to people who are working in the rubble. The council plans that after reconstruction, it would be open to public and its grounds would become a public park located near Martello Tower and town centre.

Almost 45 m south of Bremore Castle lay the ruins of a chapel that was erected in late-medieval times. It is also located near a site that was inhabited in prehistoric times, circa 2,000 B.C. The most prominent evidence of this fact is the Fulacht Fiadh or cooking place located just 50 m away from one of the five mounds dug up at this site. All experts and archaeologists concur that the circular mounds constituted the Passage Tomb cemetery for funerals during the time of usage. The presence of a ‘rude stone basin’ further fortifies the fact that it was a burial site for the people who had settled at this site. The five mounds are located within short distances of each other, with average diameters of the mounds ranging from 9 m to 20 m. Four of these mounds have kerbstones along the sides and edges, while one has become ovoid in shape due to the impact of fencing.

Being close to the shoreline of River Delvin and having volcanic and sedimentary rocks, Bremore headland became a prominent harbour by mid 16th century. However, the Cardy Rocks located just 750 m off the shore of the headland made it very dangerous for ships to navigate in these waters. Till now, 12 shipwrecks have been recorded in this area, with the loss of Bell Hill in 1875 being the biggest. As per local tradition, the bodies of the dead were below cairns situated near the headland.

Show / Hide More expand-2067160

collapse-large-6187622

Related Content link-4796259

Towns

Swords
Swords formed in 560AD, the county town of Fingal, County Dublin as of 1994 after Dublin County Councils breakup is loca…read on
Skerries
Skerries, located on the eastern coast of Ireland, derives its name from Norse word Skere which means small coastal is…read on
Rush
Rush is a diminutive town, situated on the east coast of Ireland. Located just 27 km away from County Dublin, Rush can b…read on
Portmarnock
Portmarnock, a beautiful town in the outskirts of County Dublin is located between Malahide and Baldoyle. The name of…read on
Malahide
Located in County Dublin, Malahide is a coastal suburban town that derives its modern name from “Mullach Íde”, meanin…read on
Lusk
Lusk is small village in County Dublin, which is located on the east coast of Ireland in the province of Leinster. The v…read on
Dublin City
Dublin City is the most important city of Ireland and also the capital city. In Irish it is officially known as Baile Á…read on
Donabate
Located 20 km north-east of County Dublin, Donabate is a suburban coastal town. The town is situated on a peninsula that…read on
Balbriggan
Balbriggan is a beautiful sea-side town situated 32km away to the north of Dublin City Centre which is in North County…read on

MuseumsGolf

Howth Golf Club
Established in 1916 and designed by well-known golf architect James Braid, the 18 hole Howth Golf Club is situated at …read on

Gardens

Rathmichael Lodge
The old world charm of Rathmichael Lodge is so deeply impressive that it will transport one to a different time period. …read on
Dillon Garden
The Dillon Garden is located outside a private house in Ranelagh which is on the outskirts of Dublin. The garden attract…read on

Castles

Clontarf Castle
Now turned into a hotel with the most modern amenities, Clontarf Castle has always been a much-admired place in Irelan…read on
Bremore Castle
Bremore Castle is a large tower house located north of Balbriggan, County Dublin. Estimated to have been built in the 14…read on

Art-galleries

Neptune Gallery
One of the smallest galleries of Dublin, Neptune Gallery is located in the South William Street in the Dublin City of Co…read on
Framework Gallery
Framework Gallery is one of the popular tourist destinations in the County Dublin. There are two workshops located on si…read on
Eblana Gallery
Eblana Gallery is a contemporary art gallery situated in Dublin City Centre. The gallery has a magnanimous collection of…read on
Douglas Hyde Gallery
Douglas Hyde Gallery, named after the first President of Ireland, is a contemporary art gallery funded by public money. …read on

Show/Hide Related Content expand-2067160 collapse-large-6187622

Photos Nearby camera-3864487

All Imagery Courtesy of Panoramio collapse-large-6187622

Location Map arrows-2512555