Balbriggan is a beautiful sea-side town situated 32km away to the north of Dublin City Centre which is in North County Dublin. The town in Irish is called BaileBricin which means Town of the Small Trouts. Originally, the town was a small fishing village where after the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, King William of Orange along with his army set up their comfortable camp. In the year 1920, Balbriggan was looted and burned by the “Black and Tans” which was a British Military force. This incidence occurred after a Royal Irish Constable was killed during the War of Independence in 1916-21.
The town captures hearts by offering beautiful places like beaches, operational harbour, a light house, a beautifully restored Ardgillan Demesne and a mesmerizing Castle all set in 83 Hectares of the famous rolling parklands. Access to kitchen garden and beautiful rose is also easy and fills eyes with the beauty of nature. Balbriggan is also famous for its Golf Club which is an 18 holevast championship course with all the requisite facilities like restaurant and bar. Moreover, visitors are also delighted after having a glimpse of the historical sites built in the 14th century at Bremore, Balrothery and Four Knocks. In addition, the fresh water lake located at Balrothery nearby Balbriggan offers an enjoyable trout fishing experience. Moreover, for the convenience of the visitors, there exists a tourist information office which is located on Georges Square in Balbriggan.
Balbriggan offers good rail connectivity to its residents and visitors as it is situated 32 km north of Dublin city and falls on the famous Belfast-Dublin main line which is a part of the Irish rail network. The Balbriggan railway station is served by the commuter rail services that initiated on 25 May 1844 and shut down for good traffic on 2 December 1974. It is supposed that around 2,200 commuters take the round of the station every working day. Furthermore, the town is also situated just next to the well-defined M1 motorway that got completed in the year 1998. Before this, the chief Dublin-Belfast road passed through the centre of Balbriggan, alongside a major traffic blockage on a regular basis. Balbriggan is supposed to be the most northerly town in the entire Fingal and is located very near to Drogheda.
The town is blessed with the River Bracken which is also known as the Matt River. It once formed a lake called “The Canal” or “Head” and now flows through the town. The water was cleaned through tunnels and a canal down to the Lower Mill, where it was used for turning a waterwheel in order to drive the cotton manufacturing machinery. The town is able to cater to the needs of its residents by offering them with all the necessary facilities.
Moreover, in the early 2000s, the townwitnessed a population boom and as a result the demand for more houses increased at a great level.Within the Dublin region, there were around hundreds of new homes being built in order to provide shelter to the residents. Since then, the town has never looked back and is consistently climbing the ladders of development.
Show / Hide More
All Imagery Courtesy of Panoramio
Swords formed in 560AD, the county town of Fingal, County Dublin as of 1994 after Dublin County Councils breakup is loca…read on
Skerries, located on the eastern coast of Ireland, derives its name from Norse word Skere which means small coastal is…read on
Rush is a diminutive town, situated on the east coast of Ireland. Located just 27 km away from County Dublin, Rush can b…read on
Portmarnock, a beautiful town in the outskirts of County Dublin is located between Malahide and Baldoyle. The name of…read on
Located in County Dublin, Malahide is a coastal suburban town that derives its modern name from “Mullach Íde”, meanin…read on
Lusk is small village in County Dublin, which is located on the east coast of Ireland in the province of Leinster. The v…read on
Dublin City is the most important city of Ireland and also the capital city. In Irish it is officially known as Baile Á…read on
Located 20 km north-east of County Dublin, Donabate is a suburban coastal town. The town is situated on a peninsula that…read on
Balbriggan is a beautiful sea-side town situated 32km away to the north of Dublin City Centre which is in North County…read on
|Howth Golf Club
Established in 1916 and designed by well-known golf architect James Braid, the 18 hole Howth Golf Club is situated at …read on
The old world charm of Rathmichael Lodge is so deeply impressive that it will transport one to a different time period. …read on
The Dillon Garden is located outside a private house in Ranelagh which is on the outskirts of Dublin. The garden attract…read on
Now turned into a hotel with the most modern amenities, Clontarf Castle has always been a much-admired place in Irelan…read on
Bremore Castle is a large tower house located north of Balbriggan, County Dublin. Estimated to have been built in the 14…read on
One of the smallest galleries of Dublin, Neptune Gallery is located in the South William Street in the Dublin City of Co…read on
Framework Gallery is one of the popular tourist destinations in the County Dublin. There are two workshops located on si…read on
Eblana Gallery is a contemporary art gallery situated in Dublin City Centre. The gallery has a magnanimous collection of…read on
|Douglas Hyde Gallery
Douglas Hyde Gallery, named after the first President of Ireland, is a contemporary art gallery funded by public money. …read on
Show/Hide Related Content